Friday 8 April 2011

On a less serious note

So, I realised just a few minutes ago that I haven't written about chaotic attractors in all their splendour. An incredible oversight on my part. These objects are achingly beautiful and intricately complex in form. They arise in phase space (I believe I have covered this) in certain parameter regions of systems. Their fractal geometry means that dynamics is incredibly sensitive on them and while trajectories will follow the path of the attractor (duh! attracting :-) ), there is no predicting which exact part of the attractor it will land on and follow round or ultimately where it will end up. The attractor is fixed, the trajectories are not. A nice succinct explanation is available here.

The one that ties in closest to my work is the Lorenz attractor. The three dimensional system for describing turbulence gives birth to an amazing structure. This attractor is where the 'butterfly effect' expression originated. The attractor itself is geometrically between two and three dimensions and winds itself around two points.




The image (from wiki) shows exactly this. Where the trajectories 'cross' in this two-dimensional visualisation is actually where they layer over each other - manifolds cannot intersect (the unstable manifold exactly describes the attractor). The view is better in 3d. The fractal (Hausdorff) dimension of the attractor is about 2.06.

Other systems with strange attractors are the Rossler system and Henon map. This page gives a nice description and a few images.

As a side note: for those of you who read and enjoyed 'Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality' or 'Luminosity' I would recommend this strangely named (but you'll understand all too soon) 'Baby Eating Aliens' also from the Less Wrong family and the (there is a theme here, no?) 'Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time' if you like a bit of complex, epic writing with lots of action and magic!

Enjoy! Also, something to look forward to: I hope to have my poster available for you lot next time I post. :D

Doh! Almost forgot. One of the lecturers at my university (Hinke Osinga) actually crocheted the Lorenz stable manifold! If you want to know how, read this!

Incidentally, my project supervisor is the Bernd Krauskopf mentioned in the article. And yes, it is one of their Christmas decorations. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment