Tuesday 15 March 2011

"To err is human"

And guess what?! I'm human. My error this time was such a small thing but it could have had huge consequences if I had not caught it when I had. Actually it would have been far better to have caught it much much earlier but I had no reason to see problems until this point.

I had successfully combined my manifold examination with the Julia Set calculations into one succinct image for each value of the parameter lambda. Nothing twigged until I sat there showing them to my supervisor and he commented that surely the attractors should actually lie within the prisoner set (the points that remained after the iteration). My manifolds also did not line up with the areas they would be expected to. This meant one of two things. Either I had some scaling issue (quite possible with all the jiggling around I had done to get them on the same image) or something was wrong with either side of the analysis (the MATLAB or DSTool code).

Since the DSTool code had been written by someone far more experienced in the area, it was to my code that I turned my attention to find the problem. Took me a while but (as the error rule says) when I found it it was easy to fix. I like to program quite efficiently and as I was testing the absolute value of Z at each iteration I had set
absZ = abs(Z)*abs(Z);
Now instead of square rooting this after I had tested it I had left it which meant that instead of just dividing by the square of abs(Z) at each iteration, it was dividing by the fourth power of abs(Z). Doh!
Thus all my Julia Set images were actually wrong. Re-running the (easily) corrected code showed just how wrong it had been. But it is fixed now and since then I have been working like stink to analyse the correct progression of Julia Sets.

One of the areas that I have now been progressing into was a direct result of the correction. Once the correct maps were generated, I added a further capability to zoom the section around the interesting circle region. This showed that the points within the Julia Set boundary were actually behaving very much like the stable set patterns seen by the PhD student I have been working with. So I have been expanding my analysis to include calculation of the stable set within the Julia Set boundary. This is likely to contribute to connectedness and other behaviours of the map I have already examined.

As far as I understand it, the stable set is the set of points that go to the attractor(s) via the stable manifold due to the existence of a saddle point. Some points, in the course of being iterated, will end up on the stable manifold or on the saddle itself before slowly reaching the attractor. The stable set is all the points back in time that forward in time end up at the stable manifold (thus more pre-image calculations are involved!).

I have calculated this for a few values and they show promising information - I would have inserted images here but the server is rejecting them...
They should help to determine what the hole actually does to the map at least in the limited sense that I am examining it.

Oh, also I would also have shown you the bifurcation progression through lambda but since the server is rejecting my images I won't be. I'll try next week. Sufficed to say that there is a lot going on. I'm not entirely sure I'll find it easy to stick to the 45 page limit. If anyone has any recommendations for that (things that they would find interesting so think should be included) please let me know. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment